The Foundation of Hope
Dec 08, 2014
Do you want a life that won’t be shaken by every doubt, change, or hardship? Build your life on the hope that we have in the Gospel. The apostle Paul reveals an important truth about this in Colossians 1. Notice what he says about where the Colossians faith and love came from:
we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints—the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth (Colossians 1:3-6 NIV, emphasis added).
Our faith and our love for God and others spring from our hope. This isn’t a wishful thinking type of hope! The faith we have in Jesus and the love that flows from the life of a Christ-follower has its foundation in biblical hope––hope grounded in the truth of the Gospel and in the grace of our sovereign King (Colossians 1:5,23; 1 Peter 1:3).
Because of the Gospel, our hope is anchored in:
• Jesus (Matthew 12:21; 1 Timothy 1:1)
• Salvation (1 Thessalonians 5:8)
• The promises of God (Romans 4:17-21)
• The things that God will do in the future (Romans 8:24,25)
• Eternal life beyond this life (1 Corinthians 15:19-22; Titus 1:2, 3:7)
• Continued daily deliverance found in Christ (2 Corinthians 1:10)
• Increasing glory and radiance of Christ in our lives (2 Corinthians 3:7-18, Colossians 1:27)
• Our progressive righteousness by the Spirit’s work (Galatians 5:5)
• An inheritance from God (Ephesians 1:18)
• The next generation of Jesus followers whom God will bring from our lives (1 Thessalonians 2:19)
Where have you placed your hope today?